1. One person stabilises pt's head and neck with 1 hand on
either side of the helmet, fingers on mandible.
2. Second person loosens helmet straps at D-rings
3. Second person places 1 hand on mandible at the angle, thumb on one
side and fingers on the other.
4. First person expands helmet laterally to clear the ears and
carefully removes the helmet (remove a face cover first); tilt
backwards to get it over the nose.
5. Second person maintains inline immobilisation from below.
6. Once helmet removed, in-line immobilsation is re-established from
If pain and paraesthesia, a cast
cutter can help minimise motion (cut styrofoam layer through).