Hormone dependent maturation.
- 'prepubertal gynecomastia' defined as before 12 years unaccompanied
by other pubertal changes.
Deposition of fat, formation of new ducts, and appearance of lobules.
2. Resting post-pubertal breast
Cyclic stimulation leads to epithelium and stromal hypertrophy.
Oedema in late luteal phase (premenstrual) can cause pain and
- increased nodularity.
Diminution of fibrous stroma & hyperplasia of lobular units =
"adenosis of pregnancy".
Defined as cessation of menstrual flow for 1 year; median age 51,
usually between 40-55.
May induce pain / irregularity in breasts due to hormonal irregularity.
Symptoms: sweating, vag dryness, UTIs, cognitive side effects.
- involution and less epithelium in breastl more fat, less ct, loss of
HRT preserves pre-menopausal breast tissue.
- less risk of colon cancer, Alzheimers, heart attack, stroke, PE,
- is also an important risk factor in breast cancer.